Sunday 8 August 2010

Hellidays Part 4

SUNDAY 8TH AUGUST 2010

Really should be scrubbing my filthy hall floor and putting the washing on, this is a desperate attempt to avoid housework! Yesterday my mum popped over and we took the kids into town, as she'd kindly promised to buy their school shoes. We've always had huge problems in Clarks with Darcie as her feet are enormous and very wide, so most styles don't fit, which generally results in her dissolving into tears. I can honestly understand that she wants pretty shoes like her friends, and feel sorry for her when she just has to have whatever fits as her feet are so wide. Something incredible happened yesterday though, for the first time ever the shoes Darcie liked best she got - they had one pair in her size and they fitted perfectly! Seriously that has never happened before, in about 7 and a half years of buying her shoes. My baby Harvey got his first ever pair of school shoes, he looks so grown up in them and I had a lump in my throat! So that's the shoes sorted thank goodness - my mother's typically organised idea of getting them now before everyone starts manically rushing around getting school stuff at the end of the holidays worked. Actually I'm feeling kind of organised about uniform this year, mainly because I'm very conscious that we have two sets to buy for the first time ever. Simon & I bought Harvey a logo jumper from the school and Darcie a cardigan just before the end of term, and I've also got Harv a couple of plain red jumpers from Tesco - am planning on getting him one more logo one and that should be enough. Lots of kids don't have the logo ones, it isn't necessary, but I like the kids to have at least one proper school jumper or cardie. Got Harv the official school PE kit too, but for some reason the secretary sold us size 7-8 which is way too big, I'll have to swap it on the first day back. Also got him a book bag which he loves, and a pair of trousers.....so much uniform to get though! We need more trousers for Harvey, a PE bag, white polo shirts, socks, plimsolls......plus more white polo shirts for Darcie (got one packet yesterday) another cardigan, PE stuff, plimsolls, socks, school bag, PE bag.......it just never ends! My mum seems to think that her school skirts from last year should fit, praying she's right and I can eventually find them!

Despite really looking forward to going shopping with Granny, Darcie still managed to have a serious case of the moodies yesterday. Mum bought us lunch then the shoes, then I bought Darcie a pen set which she was apparently desperate for.......but then the trouble started when my darling daughter decided she wanted more toys. OK, I realise that school shoes aren't much of a treat for a nearly 9 year old, but she'd also had other little bits and pieces....when I refused to buy her a ridiculously expensive Etch-a-sketch keyring thing (admittedly it was quite cool) from Wilkinson's she kicked off. I had the crying, moaning, death threats and sulking which quickly escalated to full-on screaming and incredible rudeness. It was both embarrassing and annoying, and even my mum who's officially Darcie's number 1 fan, clearly thought she was being a spoiled brat and didn't get her purse out either. It was the kind of behaviour I'd expect from a 3 year old, not a nearly 9 year old - of course shops are bursting with things designed to tempt children, but as always Darcie went over the top. I'd have honestly expected her to accept by now that, disappointing as it it, she can't always have exactly what she wants. But no, the sulks continued all around Marks & Spencer and I was so embarrassed; she only calmed down when my mum suggested a drink and cake in the cafe. Unfortunately Harvey was knackered and whiney and refused to go in, so that ended in disaster - sometimes I truly envy childless people! Finally I had the brilliant idea of heading to Lush, Harvey's new favourite shop, yep my son is a bit too feminine sometimes! The kids loved smelling all the stuff and Darcie asked me if she could buy Granny a bath bomb to apologise for her behaviour, impressed with her sudden change in attitude I agreed, trying not to laugh when she unknowingly chose "Sex Bomb" for her grandmother, not entirely appropriate but it was very pretty.

So that was yesterday, today we're having a quiet day, as I've said before I never know what to do with kids on a Sunday. Darcie went over to our neighbours for tea on Friday, Lloyd is in her year at school and they get on OK despite being very different children. I've asked Lloyd over at 4pm today, he's a bit of a psycho (in a different way to Darcie) but hell it's someone for the kids to hang out with. He's got a broken wrist at the moment so won't be able to be as destructive as usual which is a relief, the kids will probably just end up playing on the wii but it's something to do.

On Wednesday I'm taking Darcie & Harvey up to London, as they really want to go on the Eye. My mum wants to come too, which will be helpful as I'm not sure about coping with them both in London on my own, despite it being home really for me - I was born in Croydon (I'll admit that on here as hardly anyone reads this!) south London, and lived there until I moved to Portsmouth at 18. Both my kids were born in Portsmouth so this is home for them, weird in a way as neither Simon or I grew up here. We've sorted out cheap train fares (£14 adult day return which I reckon is a total bargain) but have to be back on the train by just after 4.30pm so we won't have much time in the city really. I think we'll have a picnic lunch on the train going, then head to the Eye which hopefully the kids will enjoy, hoping to show them a couple of other sights if we have time. I'm nervous about the journey (and praying Harv doesn't fall asleep on the train coming home as that'll mean we'll have him awake until midnight probably) and hope the kids behave but generally looking forward to it. It should be nice day out for us all, and I'm excited as I haven't been to London for years, not since my parents moved away from there nearly 4 years ago. I just wish we could afford to have a week or so there as there are so many places I want to take the kids to, but a hotel plus outings would just be so hideously expensive, especially this time of year. My parents always told me how incredibly lucky I was to grow up just outside London (we used to be there literally an hour after leaving home, front door to central London) but of course I didn't appreciate it as a kid, it was just normal - now I realise how fab it really was, and I wish I could whisk my kids up to London on a whim! For me, London will always mean home, I have so many memories there and Wednesday should be fun.

Anyway, back to the housework, am desperately trying to ignore the fact that my darling son is covered in chocolate spread and is happily wiping it all over his bedroom carpet!


No comments:

Post a Comment